What are the next steps for sculpting after doing your lower level details

So ive used dyntopo to build the main shapes of a body then turned it off when i had enough vertices to sculpt without dyntopo for the lower details.

But im not sure what the next step is. i want to get as much detail as possible while not going overboard with ram and polygons. And im not sure if im meant to get cleaner topology as i see with alot of other peoples work.

I do know from other programs like zbrush and blender, when using a dyntopo tool your meant to use only at the beginning stage then use a way to get cleaner topology to do the usual subdivide technique for your medium to high details. Atleast from what ive seen.

I would love to know what are some good steps to follow in what to use and when to use with the sculpting process.

I also know the main things to focus on is multiresolution, voxel remesh, dyntopo and deciminate. i know the basic of them but not what when im meant to use them.

1 Like

As I’m still learning things the one thing that I have learned is (until learning how to do re topology) is using decimation to reduce polygon count while retaining as much detail as possible. One should gradually apply decimation levels until it retains as much as desired or needed details. Lots of models are exported once they are finished and are then decimated.

@Nexus So is there any bad affects if you keep applying decimations, like does it use alot of ram or affect the mesh feom being sculpted on?

Because it does sound too good to be true if you can keep the details you already have while having less polygons. then to sculpt even more detail then to decimate again and rinse and repeat.

From what I understand decimation is also preformed in nomad sculpt for unwrapping the model for UV texturing into another app or reducing the model to import into another application. The decimation when done right looks close to the original but I don’t believe the model should be continued to be sculpted on after decimation. From what I understand decimation is the last step once fully done with the modeling process.

1 Like

@Nexus I did use decimate for one of the first steps because a tutorial recommended it. But you are right that decimate is more for last steps. but it does seem good though if you want less polys but still keep your mesh intact.

1 Like

decimation also helps if your device can’t handle the vertecies on the scene/project

1 Like

@Random So use it but only sparingly?

as long as your device can handle the load, you don’t have to use it

Yes it helps also in many other circumstances, for example if you have many objects in the scene. But generally what people do is once they don’t want to sculpt anymore on that character or object . I also have decimated parts of a character I’m not sculpting on any longer. For example clothing or accessory’s of the character yet keep other parts without decimation because still working on those areas. It’s a all about generally trying to keep the model optimized so things run smoothly and are ready to export into other applications. But there is no rule if you’re device’s can handle it. But if you want to export or create assets for a game engine or other 3D app on PC then optimizing is necessary. But if it’s just for art or sculptures then it doesn’t really matter as much :slight_smile: It only matters if you want to use the model outside of nomad for other purposes.

@Nexus Oh thats good then i only want to sculpt for art but i do want to 3dprint. and i have an ipad pro so it should run good but i do wish to sculpt without pushing the limits.

1 Like

@Random yeah i have an ipad pro with 16gb