1.67: New bugs? Back end changes?

To clarify, this is indeed a Nomad bug.
But skew and non uniform scale are notoriously known to be avoided in many 3d softwares, previously Nomad was not allowing it to happen as gizmo was forced to be on “vertex” when using the gizmo with non uniform scale.

There are reasons why it’s now allowed but I won’t waste time explain (instancing is one reason, but not the only one).

3 Likes

Thank you the baking seemed to solve smudging and weird voxel mergers, which were where the bulk of issues were coming from. I do fear younger users will be confused (especially as the entire program is new to them) and they won’t be as resourceful; more casual. It’d be cool to have a casual version of the program and one more in-depth. The ability to have a complicationless clay ball is what dragged me into the program, as it’s (i know, hard to believe) not a profession, but rather a pleasure/hobby, or a tool i use to figure out how an image would look in a position in space while painting.

I think we’ll have more programmers if the coding is more like Ruby and less like C+, if you catch my metaphor. Not that pressing “bake vertex” is complicated, it’s just inobvious for those that see this as clay.

I worry that someday this will become as daunting as some of the PC programs - I mean, given we’re without an option for the very intuitive form. I’d be willing to learn each new feature, but as i said, for those just getting into it…

In thanks for the help i present to you what it would look like if we had tamed prehistoric giant sloths and were able to ride them as one would a horse - to scale. Please excuse our jockey’s lack of hands.

Errrrmmerrr gerrrrrddddd what am i doing wrong now?

I was getting those kind of things in the earlier betas, but generally fixed if i baked the parent matrix, and ensured my symmetry settings were legit.

-gizmo tool
-go to the gizmo menu options, choose ‘bake’ to reset the matrix to positions at 0, rotations at 0, scale at 1
-look in the scene hierarchy, ensure the object isn’t a child of other objects that also have odd transforms. maybe for now just pull it out of the hierarchy entirely
-symmetry menu, ensure you’re just using mirror symmetry across the axis you expect, that radial and all the others are off
-if you’re in world symmetry, try local. if in local, try world.
-when you toggle the symmetry button on the left toolbar, double check the symmetry line indicator is where you expect it to be, along the vertical center line of your character. if its not, you might need to use the gizmo tool to get it aligned to the world center again, then use the symmetry ‘mirror left to right’ or ‘right to left’ to restore symmetry, bake the transform matrix again, see how that goes.

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot, but the baking just failed on this most recent attempt at eyebrowing.

By the way, nice piece… Odd that you found this thread right after it was in my side window.

Yeah that was odd. :slight_smile:

Your matrix values show you’re rotated, are you sure the symmetry options are in local?

1 Like

Thank you. Your check list fixed the issue. :smile: Eyebrows complete.
And thank you Stephomi.

I feel bad for taking Stephomi’s time for what was mostly just confusion (or at all really), being jarred by the vast jump in versions, but I will defend my post by pointing out for every amature like me on this forum, there are thousands and thousands more that are more casual, and the simple solutions won’t be obvious/will frustrate them, so hopefully it is not just the intermediate to pro users that will be considered.

As I’ve mentioned in years past, thank you for bringing this wonderful machine into the universe. I apologize for my sloppy forum posts, I was very frustrated at the time and being inconsiderate.

1 Like

I disagree with the ‘hard for beginners’ take. The default setup shows you a sphere, you draw on it, you sculpt it. Beginners don’t need any more than that, over time if they want more things, they can go discover them. The barrier to entry on nomad is way lower that most 3d software, either in desktop or app form.

3 Likes

It’s mostly on your side.
You missed to check new features on Webdemo to prepare yourself during last year.
Now you are overwhelmed missing old things instead of enjoying new possibilities.
But yes, there is a lot to explore and I was trapped in one new function as well. But that’s the way it goes.
No progress without changes.

3 Likes

While it’s true it is easy on entry, and you can delve deeper, I’m just putting one vote into focusing on intuitive feel, easy trouble-shooting, as little trouble shooting needed as possible;, as an important priority in the creation of the program. If it feels more like your hands are literally in the screen; things do what you want on your initial attempt, the better it is not just for noobs, but for all.

Extrapolated

I’m not arguing that the learning curve is too steep, and though this wasn’t really mentioned, I’ll add that I’m not at all arguing to dumb the more in depth features down. Just that the UI and workflow should be high priority - I’ve learned all this new information and I’m still having to get used to it, and I do very basic things.

It’s easier said than done, but I’d argue that this particular focus has taken a back seat in the newer version, in the design process of highly complex mechanizations. Not significantly, but enough to warrant concern from a long time fan and it looks as though there are a few others, in the small sample size that go into the forums of the program, that would overlap in my venn diagram in this area. I’d argue that it’s pessimistic and unreasonable to say there aren’t simplifications or alterations to be made to reduce trouble shooting requirements for simple and basic activities (the core of the program), especially in the areas we’ve gone over - as they seem most up front.

Again I’m a very casual user that just happens to visit the forums, so I can be looked at as a kind specimen, a sampling of that population. I can now get around the new barriers, they’re very small hops, but are there not ways to make things immediately apparent without compromising customization?

So this is set to symmetry on the X axis, and the plane (little red line) doesn’t do as you’d think it would. Did it always work like this?

It could have never been like this, as a mirror node is new since update.
You started inside a mirror node, insert a mesh with mirror turned on in it’s own settings, kind of double mirror.

But I can’t replicate your behaviour. To be honest.
If I use insert mesh in mirror mode inside a mirror node it looks like it is only one object. Double mirrored so to say.

This is something like old behaviour would be.

I haven’t said this is always easy.
To be fair, I was expecting something like this before release, as this node stuff I.e. can be mind twisting for someone never used this before. That some people will be missing this sorrow less Nomad tapping around through all features without really knowing what they do but also without real consequences. This time is over, as soon you start to use nodes.
Anyway.
Most people are happy.
Maybe they don’t touch everything and keep it easy?
Some are happy because they can do a lot they dreamed of.

Some get trapped by combining things. While writing, I tried to get into same situation like you have been, without success, sorry.

1 Like

I’m not sure what situation you are trying to replicate, there is simply no bug in the video.

The whole sculpt is rotated 90° (see snap cube), or it was sculpted in with mirror Z axis.
Then a mesh is added while a mirror X is active, and it does as expected.

1 Like

:rofl: oh man, This ongoing complaining makes me dizzy as well. :rofl:

It’s time to switch to help section, dear @Nick_McDaniel.
I am out here at this point.

1 Like

Note that every new mesh created has the symmetry on “local” by default.
Before the default was on “world”.

(And no there is no one fit-all solution, that’s the tricky thing about default, no matter the software).

2 Likes

I see, but I tried both world and local for that one.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong on this one? It kept painting on the other side of the surfaces i was painting, and eventually painting all stopped working as i would assume it would.

Another example.
I know the paint-on-back-surfaces things must have some options i can tweak to get it working normally but this one is another one I’m stumped by

EDIT:
Nevermind. Apparently an added layer remained on that single part of the object after I voxelized all the other parts together, the layer’s strength set to zero, allowing clay but not paint.

EDIT:
Omg i just discovered detailing.