Spork in the road

Thanks guys.

@Bezzo That’s why I enjoy creatures. Can make a lot of “mistakes”, or weird choices, and it can still look ok.

@Timon I think I used 2 different alphas on that one. One was kind of a basic pore alpha and the second was kind of a scaly thing.

I was sculpting something similar yesterday. Was still just in the clay looking phase, but I’ll smooth it out and see if I can explain a bit. Do keep in mind that the process I’m using is more of a pseudo skin effect. It’s geared more towards just putting it in quickly for concept purposes rather than spending the time to really create a photo real skin quality. It still tries to keep in mind some of the few things I’ve picked up regarding skin on people but I’m still learning about a lot of it as well.

Very nice work as usual. :+1:t2:

Well, it was a bit of a long day today, but now that I am off I started with some of the quick pores on him. Could have used a lot more time with some detailing before the higher frequency detail like the pores, but oh well. I kind of did it a bit too quickly, with a beer or two, and didn’t take the time to take some images of the process. Should be pretty easy to explain though as there isn’t much to it.

Here’s where it is currently.

You are going to need to make sure that the model is dense enough to take the alphas first. I subdivided this one once and it put it up to around 2 million.

Most of the pores were done with this alpha. I think I found it on the zbrush alpha library, or could have just been on google somewhere. Pretty easy to create something similar yourself if you wanted, especially since this one really isn’t the best example, but it works for now.

Here’s the zbrush alpha website if you wanted to check out some of what they have.
https://pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/alpha/

Once you have your pores alpha, make sure to set your Stroke Spacing (under the Brush Stroke tab) to somewhere near or at 100%. Would be nice if there were a jitter or random option to the strokes, but it still works well enough. I also set the strength way down to around 2-4 percent. What I should have done was to also add another layer to it so I had additional control over the intensity even with the strength of the brush down so low.

If you really wanted to get technical, a lot of pores are a different size or shape depending where on the face they are. For example, the nose usually has larger, more spaced out looking pores sometimes, and often the cheek area and forehead can kind of elongate some of the pores from the skin stretching. Again, these aren’t always the case and can be accentuated or unnoticeable depending on sex or age.

Once you have gone over your model with the different sizes, you are also likely going to want to invert the alpha and go over some areas with some bumps instead of the divots. Usually it’s for areas where some of the hair follicles are more prevalent (beards, arms, etc.). Good to use a mirror, or get some good close up references on google (I say that, but I’m bad at using references myself like I should…lol).

That’s pretty much about it for getting a quick and dirty skin texture. Hopefully it helps at least a little.

Plus a bit of paint and some lights.

16 Likes

Awesome stuff here! I enjoyed all your creations. Also I didn’t know about alphas, so thanks for the link. :wink:

1 Like

Always useful and interesting to know individual work processes. :+1:t2:

Always useful to have some sort of art app if using the iPad to create alphas for Nomad. I use ArtStudio. It’s the older version I use but there is a newer one out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @Dm7 Alphas are pretty helpful sometimes. Just probably better to not spray it around like a fire hose like I do and hope it comes out ok…lol.

@Adam How close is ArtStudio to something like an older photoshop? I currently have procreate, but it doesn’t seem to do everything I’d want now that I’d like to make a few alphas or tileable textures. I’m sure I could eventually get it to do what I want, it’s just going to take a lot of time.

I haven’t used the latest ArtStudio but I like the old version as it’s like a very old Photoshop. Doesn’t have all the bells and whistles but I use it more than my desktop art software. ArtStudio Pro probably has extra features that are even better.

Check the video link.

@Adam Thanks. Just downloaded it this morning. Been testing out all the buttons and options, and yes, this now has all the things I was expecting when compared to an older version of photoshop. Well, except for maybe a radial gradient fill, or a couple of other small things. I also must have a different version as I can’t seem to put it in the desktop view which I was hoping for from the start of the video. Now I just need to find the time to get some alphas made.

It is on the iPad that you bought ArtStudio Pro? As I use the older version there were different options available.

Hopefully this video will help. If you still have problems I’m sure the developer can help and might be able to give you a refund if it’s not right. Hopefully you can find the problem. :crossed_fingers:t2:

It’s not a problem. All the options are still there, I was just more used to that kind of view. I’m sure I’ll get used to it soon. Though since I downloaded Nomad, I haven’t even opened my laptop to use any other programs.

Some quick sculpts.

12 Likes

You’ll get use to it. I use it to make all my alpha brushes.
Yes, since Nomad was released I have hardly touched Zbrush. I get a lot more sculpts started when I can pick up my iPad anywhere and anytime instead of sat in front of a PC chained to my desk. :slightly_smiling_face:

More great sculpts again! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hey Sporky, happy new year. What a wonderful thread you already created! Fantastic. You improved so much.
I am speechless.

Isn’t Nomad a wonderful app?I definitely spent way to less time with it.
Taron, tartan and pilou are still on verve forum. Tarpon is doing some crazy stuff with an online painting tool. Works with iPad as well…ok not perfect…but it’s on it’s way.

I just signed in because you were asking for a good iPad painting app. If you want Photoshop replacement, you’ll get most out of it with Serif Affinity Photo, and Design for Illustrator. Even though it’s persona UI needs a bit to get used to. I have Artstudio Pro as well, but for some reason it didn’t caught my love.
My top fav iPad painting app is Infinite Painter. Such a great & innovative app. Still most functions for editing but a really god painting app. If there is a con, than it is less possible resolution than Procreate.
But I don’t say you are doing something wrong with Artstudio. I am only hearing good things about it, but I love Infinite Painter😂

Well looking forward to meet you here again. Nomad is so cool! Exactly what we dreamed of in sculptris days. I really need to dive in more.

@Adam I’m sure it will likely be enough. At least it has an offset and clone. Didn’t see a radial fill to soften the edges of some alphas, but I’m sure I can figure something out with a large erase possibly.

@knacki Happy New Year! And thanks.

Didn’t expect anyone from the old forums. Damn, been years. I’m going to need to see what he’s doing with an online tool though. Especially if it works with the iPad. I’ve been having too much fun with this iPad lately.

And yeah, this program is definitely a number of steps above Sculptris while still being just as easy to use. My only issue is that with so much overhead, I really need to start thinking about coming up with some larger sculpt ideas to even try and push it. I’m not coming anywhere near it’s limits yet. And he keeps updating it…lol.

I’ll check out some of those other programs when I get some time. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around here.

1 Like

Been working on a couple of different projects, but I took a bit of time today to do some head doodles to kind of take a break from them. So tonight, I was online and saw a couple of alphas that looked like they might work (instead of making my own like I planned…lol). Either way, the combination of these two alphas did a pretty decent job.

@Timon try these two and see if they work for you

2 Likes

This was super helpful and thanks a ton for the alphas I’m already putting them to use. Much appreciated!!

Was working on this one previously, but after seeing a few images from the book Arthur Spiderwick’s Field Guide that DaveK talked about (I’m ordering that book soon), it made me rethink how I wanted this guy to look. Still not done. Didn’t do a lot of details, and obviously the wings aren’t in, but I kind of wanted to see how it looked in an environment.

I think the bloom kind of helps with another light. It works on the background too.

Couple of other things I’m working on. Wanted to try some armor. Trying to keep it simpler since there’s going to be so many parts…lol.

7 Likes

This very cool.
I am also recommending Toni Di Terlizzis book- Spiderwicks field guide. He is such an accurate illustrator with fantastic imagination. My young son had fun with it as well. Even though some scary folk is around.

I am simply stunned what you do with this app.

That’s great spork… looks like it’s straight out of that world.

Thanks guys. I’m just still amazed with this program being on an iPad and doing this all in real time.

But here it is with some wings.

10 Likes

Looking cool… I wish you could paint transparency or have translucence in nomad… that would be perfect for something like this