Spork in the road

Thanks again guys. I’ll have to be sure to put in a bit of extra time with some new ones later. I was actually just throwing multiple random alphas with the color at that tortoise. Turns out a muddied color kind of worked in the end.

Just one this time. Answered a post by someone that had a 3D scan from a skull that they had and wanted to see a visual reconstruction of. It was supposed to be from India, and a from younger woman (a few other small details). Just seemed like it would be fun to at least attempt. Unfortunately, there’s no way to know if I was even remotely accurate.

Here’s a quick image of the skull underneath with the head opacity down a bit. Wasn’t too worried about the top of the head too much since the hair should have covered it.

8 Likes

Few more.

Started with a basic alien head again.

Ok, birds came from dinosaurs, but no one ever talks about the evolutionary precursor to the penguin…lol. Seemed like a dumb idea when I was sketching out a head that reminded me of a penguin. Then as I kept going my brain had to see what it would look like more or less finished.

One of the many soon to be discovered life forms of Enceladus.

Just a quick body sketch.

Forgot about posting this guy the other day. Went back to the insect stuff again.

12 Likes

as always your projects are very beautiful

Crazy flood of creativity here!

Thanks again. Took a few days off for the holidays, so not as much Nomad time as I’d prefer. Plus, been looking at a couple different 3D printers. Still haven’t gotten one yet, but considering between the new Saturn 8k or I think the anycubic dlp one. Don’t know much about it, but it just looks like fun.

Started with a different kind of bipedal insect that I never finished, so here’s some other ones that were just supposed to be distractions while I finished it. I’m sure I’ll get back to it eventually.

And I know I’d seen a similar image of Bert years ago, but I’d not seen a similar one of Ernie. So this was just to slightly annoy my son…lol. Always a joy to see the look on his face when he saw it. Pretty quick, so even the hair was just thrown in.

And a simple dragonish head. A few alphas to add in the scales this time instead of putting everything in by hand.

11 Likes

This has always been my favorite collection, it really opens the mind about just what might exist outthere, far out in space, deep in time.

Thanks @Nick_McDaniel. While I agree, unfortunately, it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever know if anything even similar is out there in my lifetime. While we may know about smaller life forms within the solar system (at least I’m one of the few who think they will be discovered…lol), the more complex life is just too far to be seen by human eyes any time soon.

And a bit of an odd pick based on the other thread. I’m going to attempt a likeness to turn into the Joker. While I don’t think I’d necessarily want to see Jim Carrey as the Joker in a movie, it still might make for an interesting image. Still a lot of work to get him looking closer to the original (if I even can…lol). But, thought I’d post where I’m at so far. Might help me finish if I’m reminded he’s still there.

7 Likes

I immediately thought Jim Carey before reading your post, so I think it’s already very good. I’ve watched a few videos of people doing very accomplished likenesses on YouTube, and something that was very interesting is that the sculpts often don’t look that much like the person until all the extra things, like hair, eyebrows, colouration etc are all added. One of the sculptors even mentioned this, saying that a lot of what triggers recognition and likeness are factors beyond just the 3d shape of the features, even if the features are completely correct and accurate. But I think your sculpt definitely looks like Carey already, so with hair etc I think it will be great!

I’m sure they would certainly know a lot better than I would. I usually tend to lean towards the side of if it’s already created, why recreate it. But, it could also just me being too lazy to want to get better at an area of art that I know is going to take me a while…lol. Got to start learning to make those mistakes and get better, I know.

Bit of light and mostly finished ears do help the likeness a little bit though. Got a long way to go (nowhere near the 300 hours the other sculpt took I hope…lol).

Same thing, but with a few teeth added in. About as far as I’m going to get tonight.

5 Likes

Look forward to seeing how he turns out! Couldn’t resist seeing how Midjourney handled your idea :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

That came out pretty good. I was considering going more the Heath Ledger’s Joker scars and make up. But, the hair is what I’m not looking forward to. That hair would probably be a lot simpler to do. No idea until I get there.

Gone most of the morning, but just added in the eyes and a few small adjustments. Needs a lot more.

Few more tiny changes with some new photos. Likenesses take a lot more time than I thought…lol.

4 Likes

That is a bit…….unfair……isn’t it?
So while one could say, that this is a very impressive inspiration, I see also the process of finding his own way disturbed. Do you know what I mean?
Searching for references and let this idea grow, giving it tiny bits here and there, making compromises, maybe, during the process of creation and avoiding obstacles by coming up with a different idea and detail, isn’t that what human creation process is all about?
As the original artist, it’s up to you wether you go for references, search if someone before had same idea, or even use any kind of new creation methods to find inspiration.
But during this tedious process?
It feels a bit new, but if someone would say: “Nice idea. DANG!! Here is the result. I used a robot to execute it in seconds for me. (And ten others, as I am paying this dammed slave bot company a bunch of money every month to do just this) Furthermore, if I am not wrong, one of your keywords was Hossein Diba, probably one of the best in the world.

Me personally, and again, maybe I am alone with this, I would immediately loose interest in this sujet now.

It’s a bit like playing soccer and you are about to score a tremendous goal, and while you are running and you are close to shoot someone would scream: ”HEY, LOOK, THAT IS HOW MY MESSI BOT WILL SCORE THE GOAL” and a bot takes the ball from your foot and do an insane Messi trick.

……and now we will see how you’ll do and compare!……

Doesn’t that leave a taste?

Sporki’s reaction was quite relaxed.

We should not discuss this in SporkF masters wonderful gallery.
I am not against AI art, and maybe, very likely, I am stupid, but this a new discussion one maybe have to talk about. Somewhere else for sure.

2 Likes

I’m actually not sure where I stand on the whole AI issue as I don’t know that I’ve spent the time to really consider all the possibilities. I see both sides, and agree in some ways with both. But, there are also multiple issues here.

The first thing that I see is that it is the progression of technology. There is no stopping that. It’s already out of the bag and it is going to continue in one form or another. Every once in a while I get to watch TwoMinutePapers on YouTube. From the technology side, it’s amazing what people are creating with these neural networks. Watching just over such a short time what they’ve done with images, and now video, it’s just awesome. Combined with the chat and having a bot create not just news articles, but entire papers on different subjects, it’s not going to stop there. Combining those areas, in just a short amount of time it will be possible to dictate a few lines and watch a new Stephen King, or Marvel movie that has never been imagined but based on the director or writer of your choice instead of just a simple image based on an artist. And that’s only one of hundreds of possibilities. I’m not even getting into the twilight zone/black mirror/political aspects that will occur.

But, where does that leave all the artists along the line that are being emulated (and eventually we won’t be able to tell the difference). Someone is obviously getting paid or it wouldn’t be so prevalent these days. So why aren’t the original artists being compensated? Those networks had to be trained on something. They couldn’t create these images from nowhere.

Is it going to have to be regulated like we already do with science and medical itself (from nuclear to genetic engineering)? There are numerous areas that could benefit everyone, but are unable to proceed due to everything from ethics to actual danger.

It’s already a similar debate as from decades ago. Digital itself was not considered art in many circles (still not in some). Photoshop is still used as slang in a negative way to some. How many traditional sculptors look down on those that sculpt on a computer still…lol.

I don’t know. Just throwing out a few quick things that pop into my head with the whole debate. I haven’t had a chance to really read in-depth on the subject, so many of my questions might already be answered. I’ve still got numerous other things that are still percolating in my head on the subject now that I started thinking about it.

Why so serious…?

I really should have considered the volatile and polarising reaction that AI art generation has these days, for that I apologise!

As for the prompt I used to generate that image it was simply “Jim Carrey as the Joker” no artist name style source.

I agree with Spork’s very balanced response that there needs to be regulation and already Art Station has changed its TOS to include opt in/out of AI training after the recent protest which is a good first step.

200 years ago a new technology arose that could create images in seconds which split the traditional art world and was hailed as ‘the death of painting’… Photography!

But you are correct, not a discussion for Sporks thread!

You anticipated and created in seconds what would have been days of work, before the work has been finished.
Let the bot scream the jokes pointe in between while the human was slowly developing the story.

My son was never really interested in drawing, one reason was that I didn’t hold myself back. I just frustrated him because I did what I was able to.

Ok, it is probably just me.
And sorry for disturbing.

To be fair out of the half dozen joker iterations Spork said he’s going the Ledger route not the Nicholson path which AI took and hopefully it has given him some ideas for how to approach hair…

But again apologies for offending anyone’s creative workflow sensibilities

to end this debate how about some purely masterful inspiration from the original Dark Knight concept artist Rob Bliss… Freaky Unseen 'The Dark Knight' Concept Art By Rob Bliss | RAR Writes

Instead of finding more references and another countless hours tweaking it so he really looks right, I just wanted to see how it looks now (little impatient…lol).

10 Likes

Didn’t realize it had been that long since I posted some of these. So, here’s some more random fun creatures.

10 Likes

so good. every. single. time.

keep 'em coming! :slight_smile:

These are great :clap:t3: