Recenter Gizmo to zero rotations without affecting object

I’m sure this has probably been answered but I cannot find it. In most 3d programs if you rotate an object you can reset the gizmo itself so it zeroes out to 0 degrees rotation on all axis without affecting the object. The example shows what I want to do. I can use the pivot tool to approximately re-rotate the gizmo but I really want to accurately reset the gizmo to 0 rotations. I tried the reset option in the gizmo tool but it resets the object as well. I’m sure I’m missing something very basic but can’t find it. Any help is appreciated!
Gizmo

Like this?

Actually no. I was hoping to be able to reset the objects local axis to zero rotations.This is pretty simple in Zbrush but perhaps that feature is not in Nomad as of now. I appreciate the response however

You can reset the pivot, then it should be straight again.
Or you can use the World option in the sidebar.

Both comes close but what you want, I believe it can’t be done at the moment. “World” (or “align” in the web demo) is only temporary, and “reset” moves the pivot to the bounding box center.

If that’s ok “reset” might work for you. If the object is rotated, try “bake” before reset

1 Like

Align is there for that, it reset the gizmo rotation as in “most 3d programs”.

Zbrush is not “most 3d programs”, actually it doesn’t even have hierarchy and the objects probably don’t even have transforms…
Basically using Nomad like zbrush would mean to only use the gizmo in “vertex mode”.
In that case Pivot->Reset would always reset to identity.

Otherwise you need to:

• make sure the object has no parent
  • bake the matrix

It’s a bad solution though, baking should be avoid most of the time.

1 Like

I think this might do what you want: 1) rotate object desired amount 2) go to gizmo settings and click “bake” (this will also bake any scaling and translation, but I don’t think that can be helped) 3) click pivot on left hand column (make sure “world” is not also selected) 3) click reset. The local pivot should now return to vertical, the object won’t move. The key step is baking the gizmo settings after the first rotation, I think.
Hope this was what you wanted.
(Just read Ray’s post - he’s given the same answer)

1 Like

Apologies for the late reply. I’m in Nevada County still digging our way out of the snowstorm. Thanks to all for responding. Much appreciated. It seems now with the latest version the way to reset local parameters to zero rotations in the Gizmo is :
1 align
2 pivot
3 reset
4 exit pivot
This appears to reset the gizmo to zero out all rotations to the object itself which is what I want. If I’m in error please feel free to update my remarks. Thanks again to all who responded.

Thanks stephomi. Your solution worked great! I’ve used 3d programs working in the entertainment industry from 3d studio to Cinema 4d to Maya to Sketchup to Blender to Zbrush and believe me I know Zbrush is not like other 3d programs! I still have my latest version of Zbrush sans the Cinema 4d takeover which I won’t subscribe to. Really the only aspect of Zbrush I miss in Nomad is Zremesher. I port character models back to Zbrush to use Zremesher with the Zremesh draw curves function to get working face loops and then port them back to Nomad because I absolutely prefer Nomads interface. If Nomad had Zremsher I wouldn’t even need Zbrush. Nomad is truly amazing for an ipad app.

1 Like