My Works :)

Enchanting magic with simplicity is your super power!

1 Like

Some fantastic work in this thread! :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, guys! :heart:

@btft, this is 1.66 beta

2 Likes

I just looove SSS

4 Likes

Grass test

17 Likes

Are these all planes? Iā€™m looking for repeating grass blades or a pattern and I donā€™t really see any so great job!

Excellent work :clap:t3:

2 Likes

Fantastic. Best Nomad grass ever!

1 Like

Wow incredible grass!

1 Like

Thanks guys!
I did 5 strands around 400 verts each. Could be done with a lot less if u donā€™t need textures. The rest is multiplication with insert tool.

9 Likes

This is lovely to see! When I studied 3D years ago most animators were great at modelling but settled for the plastic materials offered. Mapping textures was my joy. I love tweaking textures and light settings for realism so itā€™s great to see some tangible textures happening and having a good eye for randomness balance is a big part of that. Beautiful grass. tbf though Iā€™d probably want to mucky it up a bit ie add a set with 3 blades with some kind of surface defect like broken or chomped or sun burned.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words and advice!
Iā€™ve used many softwares for modeling and texturing/painting, but Nomad is simply the best, hands down!
Nothing else gives such experience of butter-smooth, UV-less, non-destructive painting. Simultaneous roughness, metalness, colour painting and sculpting. And on top of that we have powerful topology independent layer system for maximum control. Only negative side is that in order to increase texture resolution we have to increase the density of the mesh, but if we complement texture details with geometry details we get dope quality realistic stuff. Realtime! On mobile!

Hereā€™s another shot:

12 Likes

ā€œ complement texture details with geometry detailsā€
Way back when I was taught 3D modelling and mapping by an excellent teacher that is what he taught. I think of it as an extension of reasoning behind storyboards.
We were taught to do 2d animation first so we knew how to plan what is in screen then when we were taught about not building in 3D but for camera view in the same way that tv and film sets are built it makes sense to story board (or sketch for stills) first so you can budget your efforts to where they are most valuable.

To that my learning about art and film also taught me how our eyes move around on an image and that those focal points are where textural details have great impact and the geometry can be used to influence how the viewerā€™s eye travels to that detailā€¦ because there is that whole subtext to the image/footage of the story if the viewerā€™s journey through the view. A pleasant wandering a, sharp surprise. Things of that nature,

Oh, by the way I wasnā€™t intending to advise you to change anythingā€¦ I have no idea where you want to take what your doing or why and it is string impressive workā€¦ I guess I was just musing about what Iā€™d like to doā€¦ I wish I hadnā€™t mentioned it now, I sometimes get completely distracted by what other people say i should do with my own work so I could do better respecting that with others,

1 Like

Loved this so many times I kept turning the like heart on and off.
I had no idea yiu had so much work on this page. Iā€™ll have to spend a lot longer looking.

1 Like

I did a smal vid/example of complementing texture detail with geometry and vice-versa.

Thanks for your input! I absolutely agree with you. 2D rules for composition apply in 3D and having a good composition in a complex scene is half of the work done.

7 Likes

Hey @Genko3D,
Iā€™ve tried working on a texturing in Nomad in current project and canā€™t seem to make it into fluent experience. :cry:

Can you share your approach?
It seems that youā€™re not doing UV painting but rather vertex painting on very highly subdivided mesh.
Is that correct? :thinking:

Hey man,
As i wrote before i use vertex paint as it gives much better results especially in combination with geometric details and i donā€™t like going back and forth to procreate or pc.

Usually i start with a rough texture and then i go into details. I donā€™t subdivide the whole mesh only locally with dyno topo wherever needed. See some of my previous videos in this topic or check the Tuts and tips section of the forum.

1 Like

Would you mind at all sharing a few of your collection, so we could have a play with?

I spent a while on polyhaven.com earlier downloading packs (textures). They generally include a normal, diff, displacement, sometimes a roughā€¦

But just messing about with these PBRs ā€¦ (uploaded a simple cube to sketchfab) and applied a few textures, I could not get them looking anywhere near as good as the results shown on polyhaven.comā€¦ fail day :frowning:

I donā€™t know where is Bezzoā€™s collection from, but Iā€™ve found some nice textures in textures.com. If you are willing to pay you can get very high rez.

You canā€™t use normal maps in Nomad. Roughness would be tricky. Common workflow is to use diffuse and/or displacement maps.

11 Likes

oh! hohoho fantastic model!

1 Like