Multi resolution viewport slider

Hi there,

I had one feature to request which is to allow thje option to have the multi resolution slider available in the viewport, so i dont have to open menus to access it. In Zbrush most of us have it on a hotkey to go up or down so its very intuitive, but it slows the process down having to open menus to access it.

Cheers,

Andrew

1 Like

Until something like this is implemented (or not) I find the best way to work in multi-res is to pin the menu open whilst working. It takes up quite a chunk of screen space but does the job. Maybe a future fix could be that the multi-res window is able to be reduced to a single slider bar? I know that Stephane is averse to simply adding things to the UIā€¦ā€¦to stop Nonad ending up looking like ZBrush :nerd_face:

Yea like you say the current solution means i have to pin the menu which takes a up a lot of space for a small feature. So no change means i have around +30% of the screen hidden.

There are two solutions. Having either an option to have a this slider visible and take up ~5% of the screen or maybe adding some sort of gesture. 4 finger swipe up or down.

Replying for visibility.

Iā€™ve been getting back into sculpting with this app but it kinda sucks having a lot of my screen hidden to have access to go up/down subdivs

Iā€™v been asking for this for a while, no need for a slider that takes too much space; it could either be a gesture, or something similar to the next/previous arrows that the different camera view use. Less intrusive than a slider.

1 Like

Yea this shouldnt be the only way to go up or down subdivisions

I am curious that there are only a few that really want this feature. Is this the case?

obviously :wink:

Just wondering - whatā€™s your workflow that you have to switch multi resolution up and down so often? And if so: why not simply do it the way you mentioned it with z-Brush. Set 2 shortcuts. There are also cheap & handy shortcut devices out for iPads.

However, what I might consider to be quite a feature: a possible slider and/or one or two extra buttons on the interface (e.g. bottom menu), which you can assign shortcuts to. Maybe even s.th. like the nav-cube - just an overlay you can activate/deactivate and assign specific actions to.

Soā€¦ more specific needs/workflows could be set.

Yes in zbush is a little quicker using the shortcuts Cntrl+D and Shift+D, but I dont see a huge difference using the Nomad menus. :man_shrugging:

There are shortcuts in Nomad but you need a keyboard.

2 Likes

To give some insight why I find this feature is crucial itā€™s simply because itā€™s a very standard way to model this way. And not just me, when I was at mpc, framestore, dneg and now ilmā€¦ Itā€™s very common to jump up to the highest level, sculpt something high rez, jump down to a lower resolution to tweak a base form.

I understand screen real-estate is always a concern. So a slider maybe be too big.

Perhaps a + - in a corner should an object have multiple subdivs levels. Just something where I donā€™t have to cover the screen with a big menu when going up or down (especially if itā€™s pinned).

And Iā€™m sure it would be great to add a hotkey but thatā€™s tough while Iā€™m on my commute to work or on the couch.

1 Like

Well, you mentioned the problem already. Screen space vs. different use cases and workflows. And of course: Also (new) users with total different expectations/perspectives should easily feel familiar. Thatā€™s quite tough to achieve. We have a full department in my Company only dealing with such UI-design questions.

Maybe a programmable widget (see screenshot, bottom) would help?

One could use the Bindings-Menu for defining such specific action buttons. Next to the ā€œkeyboard shortcutā€ column a ā€œonscreen buttonā€ column. One could even consider to put whole strings within such buttons (white rounded boxes with labels you could define within the Binding menu (here itā€™s a simple circle with ā€˜+ā€™ and ā€˜-ā€™). So the box/circle gets automatically created surrounding the input (+ or -) in the button column.
Simple to do, and easy to identify on the screen - and other users know that this is a button assignment.

As the user has to define these buttons, it would not confuse new users. Dependent on the screen space, the user could decide for her/him-self if (s)he wants a simple letter or a full word.
And the user knows what (s)he ā€˜designedā€™, so no need for new icons.

Btw.: My current solution is a cheap 8bitDo micro pad I assign short cuts to - should work for iPads, too.

1 Like

Aszrael, i think thats the best of both worlds! Something like that would work for both those that have 3rd party peripherals and those just using the pen alone.