Matts stuff

Day 29, hero

Based on a great 2d concept by Corey Smith

9 Likes

Day 30, pretend. Yes I cheated by stealing bits from previous sculpts, was short on time today.

aww maan, I tried the ‘g inflate’ brush shared in another thread, I think this is better:

8 Likes

Nice work. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Day 31, harvest. All done!

11 Likes

5 Likes

You can really be proud of yourself! Never thought you’ll make it through. It’s super tough. I once tried it with some sketches, but it quickly start to occupy your mind a good portion of the day.
It seems you find your way through.

Congratulations! :star_struck: :star_struck: :wave: :vulcan_salute: :clap: :clap: :clap: :vulcan_salute: :clap: :clap: :clap: :vulcan_salute: :wave: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

I didn’t think I’d make it either! I think the key was lowering standards and cheating whenever I could. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s one way. People who think those top posts, by top creative influencer for inktober etc.have been done in one day without preparation are a bit naive imho.
They can’t risk to do what you did. Lowering standards. They have to please their community. If they make it through in top quality with top progress videos, it is a product of long term work, or at least a 24/7 job for one month I am sure.

Therefore, I appreciate your stuff even more. It’s honest.

One personal question.
Do you think you learned a lot during this time and the time you spend, or haven’t you been more occupied by the pressure to deliver?
In other words, spending one month with sculptober or one month with tutorials, what is more effective in your opinion?

3 Likes

I definitely improved. Before this I’d mainly focused on symmetrical heads, and assumed I’d adapt the daily prompts into that format.

By day 3 I found I was keen to try full bodies, then props, then environments, then hard surface modelling, then the various modifers, then assymetric poses… some days I’d be up for a long character sculpt, on other days where I wasn’t, it’d inspire me to look into an area I wasn’t familiar with and treat it more as a tech exercise than a character piece. Eg the space station modelling, the ethereal cavern, the buildings for ‘leap’, the machine for harvest, the dappled lighing for ‘soft’.

I’ve definitely touched way more of the various buttons in nomad after doing this than I had before!

4 Likes

Very nice work and great tenacity. Bravo!!

1 Like

Wonderful sculpts! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Well done, is really hard but the reward and personal satisfaction are really big, last year after two failures I finished the Inktober challenge and the personal satisfaction is great. My hat off!

1 Like

Oh totally. I think as I mentioned earlier keeping expectations low was a good thing, because that directly informed time management. All these were around an hour, some a lot less. If I’d gone in with an open time limit and les these spiral out to 3, or 4, or 5 hours a day, that woulda broken me. Being able to do these in the evenings on the couch while watching tv, very doable.

Would anyone be interested in a zip of all these?

1 Like

Yes please, I’m interested to learn and play with :slight_smile:

Quick sketch of a Jordu Schell design

3 Likes

More detail work

8 Likes

I was pleased with the eyes, accidentally came out really nice just a simple inverted shape for the iris, subsurface material, low roughness, high reflectivity, and post process AO does a soft pupil for free.

1 Like

Another Jordu Schell study

9 Likes

Last Schell

11 Likes

No wait, THIS is the last Schell

8 Likes