First Sculpt - Silverback Gorilla Head

Hi everyone. This is my first serious sculpt in Nomad, and my second sculpt ever (I once made a silly looking ape head in Sculptris eleven years ago). This is a work in progress; I plan to add fine skin details, painting, fur, and peach fuzz around the mouth. I am loving this app!!!

Here’s a direct frontal screenshot from my phone screen:

6 Likes

Update: Here are some better lighted pictures with more exposure. Zoom in for more detail. On the advice of Leon and Roger, I’ve reduced the vertex count from ~3M down to ~700k with dyntopo and the smooth brush, and will attempt to get it even lower. A ton of hair coming soon, and maybe the entire gorilla.

1 Like

Good start. Way better than any of my first sculpts. You may want to start using dynamic topology if you want to get more into your pieces while using the minimal amount of ram. While subdivision of an entire piece gives a nice uniform mesh, it also is just incredibly wasteful. 3 million vertices should be sufficient to add in a full head, neck, shoulders and quite a bit of hair if you need. You could probably do an entire body and still add hair with 3 million. I’ll use an example from my previous post.

If you scroll down to the greyish creature. It’s only 416k vertices. The dumb looking chihuahua/rat thing is at about 800k. But, that’s more due to the eyes which are probably an additional 400k by themselves. Not really trying to keep the numbers down, they just aren’t really needed when using dynamic topology compared to subdividing the entire mesh to add details. They could easily be lower, and no one would be able to see the difference. But, the opposite is also true, I could subdivide the entire thing and be in the millions and still no one would be able to tell the difference. They are just doodles, and could probably use some additional detail, but the overhead is there (if needed) using this method.

1 Like

Thank you very kindly. :slightly_smiling_face:

I admittedly just kind of brute-forced my way through this one. I’ll definitely use dyntopo going forward. After reading your post, I tried decimating it to bring down the poly count, but I couldn’t get it to keep the right triangles and discard the unnecessary ones. Anyway, thank you so much for all the feedback.

Your sculpting skills are insane, btw!

Using the Smooth tool, you can turn the Intensity down to 0, adjust your Dynamic Topo level and manually decimate. This way you can adjust only the desired parts and leave the rest as is.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the tip. I’ll give it a shot. I really want to keep going with this and add hair, and maybe even the entire gorilla.

And looks like it was answered already while I was out on a job. I had most of it typed up, so here’s what my answer would have been…lol. Basically the same thing.

Decimation is just the inverse of subdivision in that it uniformly works on the entire mesh. Once you switch on dynamic topology, you have a few different options to do exactly what it sounds like you were trying to do. Use pretty much any brush tool (clay, brush, smooth, etc…I usually use smooth with the intensity turned all the way down but they would all work the same) and hit uniformisation or decimation in the DynTopo drop down. Then go over the areas you don’t need as many vertices. Especially if it’s going to be covered by hair, no one will notice if it’s lower poly.

1 Like