Evermore Adventures

Greetings! I have been lurking here a bit but, thought I should post something introductory. I played with some 3D stuff long ago (e.g., early versions of Bryce). More recently, I have done a little bit with Fusion360 for projects going through a laser cutter and, have made some minor modifications to models created by others with stuff like Meshmixer. I bounced off Blender a couple times, not finding it particularly intuitive. In March, I decided to make a concerted effort to get on top of Blender, putting in an hour or so a day. In May, I started playing with Nomad Sculpt to try to get some facility with more organic forms.

Constructive criticism welcome. I’m always happy to learn from people who know what they are doing.

I started with the SmallRobotStudio grimoire tutorial:

I also played with moving this into Blender and staged it in a low-poly dungeon scene I did in Blender.

Then, did another book with my own design elements. I exported UVs to Procreate, painted and textured and, imported back into Nomad (really looking forward to the next update where the UVs will save in Nomad).

4 Likes

My next sculpt in Nomad was this potion/perfume bottle. This one also went to Procreate for painting and texturing, then came back into Nomad for the translucent bottle and luminous liquid. This one is a little glitchy with an on/off lighting issue with the turntable and, the luminance (“unlit”) of the liquid only being visible from certain angles.

4 Likes

I used some macro shots I took of flowers from my garden as references to model these belles.

12 Likes

I made a video documenting the workflow I figured out for modeling Celtic knots in 3D with Nomad Sculpt, creating depth maps with them in Blender and, using those for 3D carvings on a laser and desktop CNC machine and, for making single image stereograms.

Shout out to @Holger_Schoenischka at 4:55 for his help.

More photos and the stereograms on my blog post here: Celtic Knots in 3D

8 Likes

Short update video with a walk-through on getting a depthmap directly out of Nomad Sculpt without using Blender:

2 Likes

(Alt: Jack O Lantern - YouTube )

A seasonal “sketch.” Jack-O-Lantern and candle modeled and painted in Nomad Sculpt. Animation in Blender.

It was fun playing with some of the new 1.66+ features. Thank you, @stephomi!

3 Likes

I know these keys are pretty simple but, it was fun to be able to model them quickly in Nomad Sculpt and, 3D print them. They are printed in a nylon resin and, sprayed with a metallic coat, then weathered with acrylic paint. I made these to use as toggles on a drawstring bag I made.

There is a 3 minute video about making the bag:

… and, a related post with more photos on my blog:

10 Likes

Fantastic project, I think that viewing the models grown in the reality is the best :slight_smile: no matter is they are simple or complex. Congrats!

1 Like

Thank you. I have a couple more in the works where I have gone from Nomad Sculpt to 3D print. It’s really gratifying to hold the prints.

2 Likes

The Auntie Tanya kokeshi is kind of a work-in-progress. My friend has three nieces and is her generation’s keeper of the family’s cultural traditions. I modeled this in Nomad Sculpt, 3D printed in nylon resin and, painted by hand (obviously … I need some more practice). I made a tiny azuma bukro out of retired kimono pieces and silk to wrap them. The dolls are about 75mm tall. Bottle cap for scale.

3 Likes

I know this is getting pretty far afield from the typical stuff posted here – more “touched by Nomad Sculpt” than strictly Nomad Sculpt work. I thought it might be of interest to see some non-digital applications.

I modeled another Celtic knot (see previous posts), printed a form in durable nylon-infused resin and, used that as a form for tooling some heavy copper foil.

3 Likes

Just a quick sculpt.

I started to post this a few few days ago but, got distracted.

Modeled and (vertex) painted in Nomad Sculpt. Animations in Blender.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree with you on this! It’s like pure magic to see your digital artwork come to life.

1 Like