Feature request: remesh/retopo

Hi,

first of all: great app! Thanks a lot :slightly_smiling_face:

Can we expect an equivalent to Zbrush’s Zremesher in the future? Or are we stuck with voxel topology (unless importing a clean mesh). Or, alternatively, retopo/reproject tools?

Thanks again.

3 Likes

I’m afraid Zremesher is not planned for the moment as it’s very complex to write.
I would probably need to freeze all other development for a certain amount o time to try achieving that.

However there’s an open-source implementation that I tried, but it was too slow, and sometimes it could give unexpected results (or even crash).
So I decided to not include it.
I think it’s the same lib that blender and forger are using (quadriflow).

If I decide to add it nevertheless I would probably hide it in the interface (dev secret panel or something).

5 Likes

I think it would make sense to add quadriflow nevertheless, when it works, it works well enough. Right now I have to send things on a round trip over to forger Just for this… Something is better than nothing.

4 Likes

I’d be curious to try this. Or if i’m too impatient I’ll get forger too!

1 Like

@stephomi have you considered this: https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes? I personally have used it in the past, it produces very good results, even without the interactive guides iirc. Modo is also using this algorithm.

Something is better than nothing.

I disagree :slight_smile:, but it has to do with product quality and stuffs.
I don’t want to rush and integrate lot of stuffs that I don’t control perfectly.

Note that it’s a one-man project, and I’ll always prioritize bug fixes and improvement of already existing features (voxel remesher for example, etc).

Have you considered this: GitHub - wjakob/instant-meshes: Interactive field-aligned mesh generator?

Yes I know it, I’m regularly following zremesher-clones closely.
But it’s not always straighforward to just integerate an open-source lib.
Is it working on iOS? Android? Is there a lot of tweaking to do? etc…

Also it seems both Quadriflow and Instant-meshes produce uniform-sized remesh, so the huge advantage of a zremesher vs the voxelRemesh is not even there.

Zremesher vs Quadriflow, most of details are lost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1V2cQVxsME

4 Likes

Seems you’re more up to date than me, sounds good. :wink:

It’s a minor point, but I’d still consider uniform sized remesh with good edge flow a big enough advantage. The advantage here is that you get much more crispy results when sculpting e.g. creases, edges, corners, etc. Of course, since much of the detail is lost as you said, this is only useful in the blocking-out phase.

1 Like

unless you can also reproject…