Facegroups explanation?

Hi there,

I’m having trouble grasping the idea of facegroups. Could someone please explain to me, what they are meant to do? Do they have any purpose when Quad Remesher is not available (Android user)? I use the facegroup tool to create new groups. I see different colors etc. And then…what? I cannot select a single group. I cannot turn them into a mask. All I can do at the moment is painting a mesh in different colors.

Are you on version 1.85? There is a bug that prevents you from masking entire groups with a single tap. If you go to interface settings and tick the box to hide the toolbar then 1 tap masking of groups should start working. (The bug is fixed on 1.86 I believe)
One of the powerful things facegroups can do is create crisp lines of topology wherever you want them. Create some facegroups then use the relax tool (which is part of the facegroup tool) over the edges.
Also, most tools now have facegroup options in their settings and/or filter options, which mean they respect facegroup boundaries.
Probably most detailed look at facegroup capabilities is from procreatefx (who else!)