Grouping - folders for objects

hey! so recently finished a model, however it was super tricky towards the end to find identify objects as every small part was seperate. I generally do cel shaded art with matcaps and in the model i like to use 5-10 unique matcaps on my models.

So if im making a car wheel. id use 1 for the rubber, 1 for the metal, another for emissive-bright materials. To do so i have to break it into smaller pieces and assign unique matcaps. This means multiple smaller parts for 1 element. ( the wheel)

It becomes very complicated sorting things, requiring tons of layers/objects. could we have a folder system, so i can place all my parts for the chassis in a folder and another folder for windows and another for doors etc.

the simple merge does group assets but you loose the individual mat cap settings. so i can rarely use that.

15 Likes

This would make my life so much easier! I’m constantly grouping and ungrouping, which then resets the tools mirroring, remesh, etc to default AND if the objects are sliced pieces, even simple merge often fuses them back together (often a plus, but not always).

1 Like

Yes! I actually suggested that on Twitter (before i know this forum existed)
It would be really nice to have a basic outliner structure:
Parents/childs to transform, delete, duplicate and toggle visibility.
I would also love the lights in there, as they are a part of the scene and can be toggled and transform as well.

Hopefully we can have something like that soon!

4 Likes

Very keen to see this as well!

I would also truly love a group feature, not simply a merge. It would be great to group multiple objects together (and be able to name that group) but still be able to access each object for editing. I admittedly don’t use the layer feature in my sculpts so perhaps there’s a way to do that there? Keep up the AMAZING work. This app is a game changer for me.

1 Like

Is this added? Couldn’t find it anywhere

Nope. This seems to be a bigger job to implement.

Hi minngton.
i totally agree with you. a folder system in the layers would be a great improvement in the work flow. myself, i tend to use many layers, so it can be tricky to find the right one even if you rename them all.
for now i tend to “simple merge” for grouping and then separate when i need to access a specific part. but then you loose all the renaming you did.

Nomade is an amazing Software! i use it every day for my work (jewelry designer) and i have to say it’s getting better and better.

4 Likes

I honestly hope this is the next major feature. It takes forever to pose a model without being able to group them and transform/rotate the pivot of the group.

One way to work with grouped objects is to select the group and mask it → hold mask and click on background. Then unmask sub-object that you want to edit → hold mask again and click on sub-object. You can then reposition the gizmo for that sub-object and it will be remembered next time you select it. I know it’s not quite the same thing but it’s half way there - I also cannot wait for grouping / parent / child & also instancing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

+1 I too would love grouping!
Currently I’m using simple merge as grouping but there are many limitations making it unfit for organizing; another thing that I’d like to be possible to do, is "voxel merge"ing the objects in a group (or simple merge) without have to ungroup them and manually select them all

1 Like

Hope they implement this feature :weary:

1 Like