Work in progress, trying to get the hair right. I'm new at this, would love some tips!

1 Like

Try hiding the hair and then paint a mass on the head as if she were sporting a near bald army buzz cut. Then, when you put the main mass back on top, any scalp that peeks through the hair mass will give the illusion that there’s hair roots underneath. Otherwise, you run the risk of making the main mass feel like a wig on top of a completely bald scalp.

To give you an idea what I’m trying to convey, I’ve marked down some areas where there’s usually hair originating from the scalp that the main mass isn’t hiding.

There’s also this mass that’s a bit too rounded. Hairline areas where tufts originate and end are typically chiseled shapes than rounded wads. Here’s a retouched example to explain what I’m trying to convey.

Unfortunately, my poor retouching left the illusion of a cast shadow and now that tuft appears to be floating above the scalp.

Thanks! I see what you mean. I’ll try it. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!