The Smartphone PC - A New Approach

No it isn’t. Read further to find out why.

Yes, I’m well aware of all that. Well-designed phones and tablets are also designed to deal with heat, in order to prevent all those problems. My phone is a good example. Here is the cooling system it contains:

The object circled in red is a large evaporative copper heat pipe. The fundamental design and shape are very similar to the double ram horn heat pipes in the Quest Pro you mentioned.
At this point I will politely direct you back to the photos I posted at the beginning, which I’ve reposted here along with some new ones.

This thermoelectric phone cooler can hit -15°C on its own. I’ve seen it easily bring down the CPU and GPU temperatures by 20°C under heavy load. I know it’s doing that through an advanced system monitor called DevInfo, pictured below (The phone wasn’t doing anything when these screenshots were taken, hence the low temperatures):

For the record, the battery isn’t charging because I’ve limited it to 85% in the system settings.

This doesn’t look like gentle web browsing to me:

Coincidentally, Google Docs is running in the centre of the monitor. YouTube is running on the phone screen, which counts as web browsing.

I’ve played Grid Autosport (Xbox 360/PS3) on high graphics with most of these apps running/playing back at the same time. I saw no stuttering or dropped frames. I did that without the cooler and the highest temperature I saw was 82°C. That’s still relatively safe, but that’s where the cooler comes in. The phone only felt moderately warm to the touch. I also didn’t see any significant throttling, because I had ‘Enhanced Processing’ and ‘Experimental Game Settings’ turned on in system settings.

Cooling is not a problem, or at least it doesn’t have to be. These little pocket computers are insanely powerful, but for the most part, that power is currently restricted/wasted.

Also some updated info on the cooling: Only the S10+ has the vapour chamber. The S10 and S10e have an ‘inferior’ heat pipe system which is still massive and still uses evaporative liquid cooling. That means the S10+ would run my tests even cooler. All three phones have a glass back, which is a very poor heat conductor, yet they remain at safe temperatures under heavy load. So there’s plenty of room to improve cooling:

• put the SoC/PoP (CPU, GPU & RAM) on the backside of the motherboard.
• fit a large vapour chamber to the SoC
• give the phone a perfectly flat aluminum back and attach the vapour chamber to it on the inside, thereby using the back as a large heat spreader
• attach a phone cooler for overclocking
• add bypass charging like gaming phones have, to reduce battery heat and wear
• do all that to a 2023 flagship and you’ve got yourself a good 1080p/decent 1440p ray tracing gaming PC and 3D graphics machine in your pocket. That’s good enough for me, and saves a lot of money. If you want to build an ultra-tier 4K triple monitor tower setup, go for it.

1 Like

It all stands and falls with the avaliable software.
And there, Android is your worst choice.

As I already mentioned to you via PN, the DAW you show here can not import new instruments (iPad only) and lacks therefore basic functionality.

CAD only works in the cloud (Onshape, Tinkercad, …)

Even when doing basic office tasks, you cannot print via USB.

There is no Slicer Software for Android to print 3D files with a fdm or sla printer.

Not all Remote Desktop Software shows all pop up screens when you use it with your phone,although I use my phone with monitor to access my headless workstation.

Android does not run smoothly with the office editorSoftware from Nextcloud, Windows and Linux does.

The list of loose ends is long, and that is only my experience.

All valid points, and thank you for raising them:

• you can print via Wi-Fi LAN and Wi-Fi Direct, and I haven’t tried USB yet
• OfficeSuite is very good for full-spectrum office work
• the Cubasis DAW has a plethora of excellent built-in instruments and is definitely not lacking in general, depending on your use-case
• this topic is about the concept of Phone-PCs, which is clearly proven here
• the concept is still in its infancy, so you can’t expect everything to be perfect right away
• all the problems you mentioned could be corrected in short order if people showed interest in the concept, but they actually have to know about it first, which nearly all of them don’t
• if the DeX concept went mainstream, then obviously the current software shortcomings would be remedied; loose ends can be tied up
• in hobbyist use-cases like mine, Android/DeX already works just fine
• others online have said DeX got them through college, or it covers 95% of their office workflow, for example
• if Android can’t be sufficiently improved, Linux and/or Windows could easily be the ultimate answer
• there’s nothing technically stopping Apple from giving the iPhone and iPad a full-blown desktop mode like DeX

A convergence of worlds and a paradigm shift in personal computing are on the table here, for the vast majority of people anyway.

2 Likes