Jim’s sculpt’s

Impressive, i didn’t know that was possible in nomad! I’am curious to know how you did this nice work,! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Really impressive! You have way more patience than me, I also tried some low poly stuff in Nomad once, and gave up very quickly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. If you look up “box modelling” on YouTube you will find tutorials on the basic process (though not using Nomad or not many, at least!). Inside nomad the techniques that I have used are:

1. moving vertices - straightforward enough, either use move tool or mask/invert mask then gizmo. Using mask you can isolate individual vertices if you need to.
  2. create new edges/faces - use the split tool (with hole filling turned off) to cut through the mesh where you want a new edge. Join the 2 bits of mesh back together using “ join” in the scene menu. (You can use mask to protect parts you don’t want to split)
  3. extrude faces - mask the faces you want to extrude; extract shell; split then delete the original masked faces; split then delete the corresponding faces on the extracted shell. The shell should now fit like an open box over the hole in the original mesh, and they can be joined together. Use this technique to create the topology necessary for the eye sockets and nose, for example.
  4. the mirror left to right/right to left can be very helpful; sometimes you can use it to create holes.

That’s basically it. The only topology that really needs careful planning are holes/handles through the mesh, like the zygomatic arches on the skull, for example.

6 Likes

Whow, thank you for this step by step and for the time you spent to wrote it, very clear and usefull!! :clap::clap::clap:It should be Nice to have something more robust in the futur for boxmodelling, like zmodeler in zbrush or a classsic one like in usual 3d sofware, but it’s good to know that you can create something like that directly in nomad by this way.

This is a work in progress. The main aim was to create “proper” face and head topology just using nomad. Here is the base mesh made using box modelling methods before any subdivision

The edge flow is basically fine, but it becomes hard to make changes as the mesh gets more complex. There are a few things topologically I would tweak, but it’s too tricky now.
Here it is with 2 subdivisions and a bit of “sculpting”

It has 58k vertices after 2 subdivisions. I think I might try using this mesh as the starting point for a likeness.

5 Likes

IDK how you did it but it looks pretty close to those topo’d heads

1 Like

Thanks. In my previous post on this thread I describe the box modelling techniques that I use within Nomad. There might be others that are possible, but I haven’t worked them out yet!

That are some really awesome results.

Question: How did you circumvent the bug where Nomad does not join vertices after a split operation (adding a loop cut)? I just gave it a try and while using “split” with the “line” preset seems to work fine, vertices are not being joined, when “split” has been used with the “square” preset. When using the “polygon” preset, I noticed, that some vertices are being joined while others are not.

Did you experience any of this?

EDIT

I stand corrected : Using the “line” preset also joins some vertices while skipping others. Is this still a bug or intended behavior?

Thanks! It sounds like you might have “fill holes” turned on. You can’t join mesh back together properly unless hole filling is turned off. You can find the check-box in the settings tab for the split tool.
Very occasionally, even with hole filling turned off, a vertex won’t properly join together after a split ( for this reason I tend to do a quick multires subdivision after a split to make sure everything is behaving properly - I then undo the subdivision)
I don’t know why this happens. What I tend to do is undo the split, make sure any Gizmo transformations have been baked (in gizmo settings tab), then split the mesh again. Usually this works fine. I suspect it is just a feature of the underlying maths of the program that very occasionally a split produces these quirks. If it’s happens all the time I’m pretty sure you need to turn off hole filling.

Thanks for the tipps. I can say for sure that “hole filling” is turned off. I will definitely try your other tipps.

But neither on my android devices nor on the web application I would say, that this happens “occansionally”. It happens more often than not. But I will definitely try the workarounds with multires and keep an eye on baking any transformations.

How do you put the image of a painting in the Nomad? Is the 3D frame just sitting infront of a reference image?

No, you can put that on a plane

1. Add a plane with division 0 (you can use any value but why wasting polygons?)
  2. In the resolution menu go to the “decimate” rider and scroll down to the UV section
  3. Unwrap UVs. If the UVs show up in the background go to the settings menu (cog icon) and de-select “debug UVs”)
  4. Go to the material menu and scroll down to “textures”. Click on “color” and select a photo of your liking

@ Split-Workflow:

Nope - no luck here. “Fill holes” is definitely turned of. I bake, I do multires, I turn upside down and wiggle my toes - if is use split (especially with the line setting") Nomad messes up the “join” operation by not merging lots of vertices.

@ Stephane : Is this still a bug?

Hmm, it sounds like you are doing everything right. What version of Nomad are you on? I’m on 1.70 on an iPad. The only thing I can think of is whether you might be on an older version or perhaps there is a difference between the android and iPad versions?
I use the split then join all the time with almost no issues, so I think there must be something more serious happening in the program.
Might be best to post a query to Stephane in the bug report section and hope he can help/explain.
Unfortunately, without the split then join functionality pretty much everything I’ve posted on this thread is impossible to do, so I hope a solution can be found.
(It’s a bit worrying that you say it’s not working on the web app either - because that usually has the latest features, I’ll have to experiment with it)

I’ve had a quick play with the web demo and it seemed to be working as I would expect.
One last thought which might explain what you’ve experienced: the split cuts you make have to be “clean” cuts which separate the mesh into two sections, where each new section has identical vertices along the cut line. It’s possible to create weird split cuts where this isn’t the case, especially if some areas are masked.
If you add a box, with topology set to 0 (just 1 face per side), then use the split tool set to rectangular selection and slice the box into a number of sections, then join them back together and test them with smooth tool or subdivision, does this ever cause a problem, or is it 100% reliable. For me this type of simple split then join is basically always reliable. If it’s not for you, then I suspect only Stephane can help work out what’s going on.

Hi, this image is texture painted onto a plane. This is probable the simplest way to do it, but you can also use UVs as explained in another post on this thread.
Just search YouTube for Nomad sculpt texture paint and there are a few tutorials. This one is quite thorough: NOMAD SCULPTING – Use texture painting in Nomad Sculpt 1.55 - YouTube

I also did some more experiments. The problem seems to occur, when line selection is being used. I create a sphere with resolution level. Then I mask half of the verts and move the other half to the side. Then reset pivot, move origin, bake. Then I slice the middle of the object and join the results. With “line” it’s a mess. With rectangular selection the result looks good.

Could you post a screenshot of the moment you are making the split so I can understand better. Thanks.

I used box modelling techniques then multires subdivision to make this pretty accurate spray bottle

At my current skill level I would struggle to achieve this with more traditional “sculpting” methods. After subdivision, but without any decimation the scene vert count is about 400k

This is what it looks like before subdivision

8 Likes

That’s incredible. Would love to see a video recording of this process if you have the time!